Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"Just Another Halo Victory"





I've been an Angels fan as long as I can remember. Back when the Rams still shared a stadium. Back when they didn't have the rocks and waterfalls. Pre-Disney. Back when they claimed the whole State of California not just a city that they didn't play in. Back when there was Wally World. Devon White, Chili Davis, Chuck Finley, Mark Langston, Jim Edmons, Lance Parish, Bo Jackson, Mo Vaughn, Tim Salmon, Troy Percival, Troy Glaus, Erstad, Eck, Vlad and the list goes on.

In my youth I can remember going to the ball park to watch batting practice, and then staying after the game by the players parking lot to try and receive autographs from my favorite (or anyone that would actually sign) players. Up until I was about 8 or 9 I think I may have had a little bit of learning to do as I think I may have been a fan of the Dodgers at the same time.

As the years past I had several memorable experiences at the "BIG A". For our church youth activities we would often go sit in the nose bleed section and cheer on the Halos. It was during one of these games that I (not first hand) found out that you are not allowed to throw tortillas like Frisbees onto the field or you will be removed from the stadium.

I was able to see a bench clearing brawl against the Blue Jays on free baseball night. One of the fans decided that it would be a good idea to throw a free baseball at the back of one of the players. The night became "free beat down night" for that fan.

I was seven rows from the grass at the first home game of the 2002 ALCS when the Angels came from behind to beat the Yankees. I couldn't hear myself think it was so loud at the stadium.


(don't be fooled, the Shirt says "Go yankees....." on the front and "Back to Hell" on the back)









Since then I have had several opportunities to take my own children to the "Big A". Win or lose (more wins than losses) I always enjoy spending time with my family at an Angel game.









As a child I followed the angels by watching the games on TV or at the ball park. It wasn't until I got older that I had to rely on good ole' AM radio. While driving to work, at work or on my way home from work I found myself tuning into the game to listen to the play by play. Even though the game was being Tivo'd at the house I couldn't resist turning on the radio to see what I had to look forward to once I got home.

Today I found out that the voice on the other side of my radio passed away. Rory Markas and Teri Smith were the broadcast announcers that I listened to night after night. Aside from Vin Scully, I'd have to say that Rory Markas was one of the best baseball announcers that I've had the opportunity to listen to. He made listening to the game on the radio enjoyable and made the sting of not being able to watch the game a little less painful. I was looking forward to this season when Rory and Mark Gubicza would be taking over the broadcast.



Rory, coined the phrase "Just another Halo victory". A phrase that I enjoyed saying every time the Angels won. A phrase that I enjoyed texting to Dodger fans during the freeway series and a phrase that I will continue to say even though Rory has passed.

I wonder who the Angels will get to replace Rory now that he is gone. Whoever it is the will have some big shoes to fill as I think Rory Markas was one of the best in the game. Rest In Peace Rory and light up the Halo.

Also on a different note Happy belated birthday to Bodie "trout man" Kelley (Jan 1) and Happy Bithday to Bradley Vidal (today)

No comments:

Post a Comment